Monday, September 8, 2014

My First Time In New York City

        Being fabulous in New York City is quintessential to anyone interested in fashion. My first experience in the city felt like something straight out of a Candace Bushnell story. Even writing about this makes me feel like Carrie Bradshaw.

   


I can't believe how friendly everyone is! I was put under the impression that New Yorkers are brazen and generally keep to themselves. On the contrary, my experience was anything, but that.  From the moment I stepped off the train at Penn Station, strange things started happening...coincidence?


I'm so use to facades, I had to keep reminding myself that the buildings are real.
(Disney Hollywood Studios NYC street facade)


Tips I wish I knew ahead of time...

1) All these real buildings, but not a lot of real bathrooms. Every Star Bucks from Penn to Time Square had a bathroom line longer than the coffee line itself. Toys R Us in Time Square was my relief. Now I know why New Yorkers walk so fast. They all have to pee.

2) There are characters walking around, they will try to persuade you for a tip. Legally, they can't ask for a tip straight up, but this isn't Disney World.




Off to my next adventure...To meet up with my friend, Autumn Cohen. She works on Broadway as a Wardrobe Assistant. She had to go into work for a bit before meeting up with me. She suggested Schmackarys Cookies on 45th Street. I think I have a famous doppelganger that lives in the city. While I was trying to overcome my indecision on what kind of sugary substance to devour, the woman behind the counter mentioned that I look familiar. I smiled & told her this is my first time in New York. A woman standing behind me then tapped me on the shoulder. She apologized for bothering me, but wanted to add that I look familiar to her as well. I think this may be a sign that I'm photo bombing too many people in the parks. I decided on a Creamed Corn Cookie. I wasn't in the mood for something too sugary. The sweet & savory combination was a great recommendation. It was like eating a sweet cornbread with bits of macadamia heaven. I took my cookie and did something I've always wanted to do...

 ...I parked my butt on a real NYC brownstone stoop.
This is where I normally watch the world go by (Universal Orlando NYC street facade). 


It wasn't long till my friend met up with me. We walked a couple of blocks over and had lunch at Yum Yum Too. 
The food lives up to the restaurant's name.


The purpose of my visit was to attend a fashion show. As the new Social Media Manager for, Fashion Hope, my first assignment was to write an article on David Tupaz showing at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.

The mission of Fashion Hope is to build awareness about ethical fashion , while raising funds to resource front-line organizations.


 I had to juggle social etiquette and my new job. I'm extremely grateful for Autumn. She helped me stay focused & up to date. 

front row!


Posing with the Designer, David Tupaz backstage.
'modeling' one of David Tupaz's hats






To wrap up my magical time in NYC, Autumn and I went searching for a great place to eat that would be off the beaten path. It really didn't hit me that I was in New York till I was in a gown walking down Park Ave. My friend & I went on a mission to find a memorable place to eat. We happened to settle on the perfect place, Park Avenue Tavern.
Not only was the food unbelievable, but so was the atmosphere. I couldn't contain my excitement. Of course, I would be the one who would blow out the candle by accident. I followed it up with, "Happy Birthday!" The owner of the restaurant came to my table to make sure the candle hadn't blown out again. As Autumn & I were leaving the restaurant, the owner held the door for us. He asked if we were off to "tear up the town". I was too full and tired to edit my response. "No, I'm going back to her place to tear up the sheets". Autumn elbowed me, "Phrasing!" 


SPECIAL THANKS TO...

Designer, Linda Bruner 

Rj Ensalad & Joe Thompson for sharing your wonderful photos.


Hairstylist, Jessica Harned at J. Christine Salon & Blow Dry Bar
Thank you 



1 comment:

  1. Titanium straightener - The Art of the Tithi
    A thunder titanium lights large diameter, round handle with a twist. Use ti 89 titanium calculator as 바카라 사이트 유니벳 a base for an race tech titanium outer case and for titanium metal a wide base design.

    ReplyDelete